Suzanne’s FREE E-Book Giveaway!
Check out this wonderful resource: Top Ten Tips for Transitions!
- Preparation of the CIS is very important. The CIS is used by the court to determine support obligations during the divorce process (Pendente Lite) and for the calculation of alimony.
- The child support guidelines are used when you apply for, or amend existing, child support. It is important to present your case in a manner that is credible to the court, as the guidelines may be changed or ignored by the court only where good cause is shown.
Questions You Should Be Asking:
How do I choose a lawyer?
- This decision is critical to how your divorce proceeds.
- Be wary of recommendations of lawyers who were “tough” or who got a “great deal” for their clients.
- Adversarial lawyers will cost you a fortune and will destroy any ability to negotiate things on your own.
- Hire a lawyer known for litigation and that is what you will get.
What is collaborative law?
- This obviously depends upon the circumstances; However if you and your spouse can keep the negotiations going, hold off.
- As soon as you file the legal wheels start turning and it can end up costing you money.
- Only after you file can you approach the court for these issues.